Josh, Victoria, Lincoln, and Brooklyn

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Breakfast on the Go!

Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, but in my crazy busy world it is the meal that I tend to neglect the most...  It gets shoved to the back burner in order to get two kids out of bed, dressed and ready for the day.  The other day I came across a recipe on Pinterest for breakfast on the go and have been excited to try it out.  It was easy and delicious (my parents were my guinea pigs and they like them)!  The recipe came from Littlebirdie.blogspot.com.  They are called Bird's Nest Breakfast Cups.  I researched calories for each ingredient, they are approximately 180 calories each.  I'm sure you could trim them down by using turkey bacon/sausage, making them veggie and using different types of cheeses (I used Tillamook Monteray Jack).  The ingredients are as follows: 

1 24 oz bag frozen hash browns (I let them thaw a bit)
2 tsp salt (I used only 1)
1 tsp pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup shredded cheese
filling of your choice (I tried sausage with onions and bacon)
Eggs (at least 12)
Extra shredded cheese
Muffin Tin (12 cup)


Grease your muffin pan


Mix together the hash browns, salt, pepper, olive oil, and cheese.  Press into the bottom each muffin cup. Bake at 425 for about 16 minutes.
Remove tray and reduce the oven temperature to 350.  Crack and egg in each muffin cup. I know, it looks nasty...  
Add whatever toppings you want.  I browned sausage and onions for some and bacon for others.  Sprinkle the top with cheese.
Bake for another 16 minutes.
Remove from oven and enjoy!  
I removed them from the muffin pan and put them in a casserole dish that has a lid for easy fridge storage.  
I can't wait to make these when I head back to work in August.  It will save me a lot of time.  I can grab one on my way out the door and eat it at work. 

1 comment:

  1. They were good and dang really 200 calories? We just won't tell your dad...oh wait he will read this. :) Since he ate four of them! I'm gonna do the bacon and maybe the sausage and definitely mush the egg....thanks for the tip on how long to cook them. Love you....

    ReplyDelete