Josh, Victoria, Lincoln, and Brooklyn

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Lincoln Alexander

Being a parent is hard work!  I say second only to being married.  The realization that parenting mirrors marriage is hitting me hard, there are peaks and valleys, you have to choose your battles, and they are both the most rewarding things in my life.  Looking back on Lincoln's three short years there have been incredible memories made; the moment we met and experienced instant unconditional love, learning to walk, talk, coming into his personality, and becoming a big brother. These precious moments are countless and he is only three!  The things I am learning about my son are quite interesting, fun, and often cause me to shake my head in dismay.  Never, ever, ever do I want to forget.  Before I know it he will be starting school, becoming a teenager, graduating, heading off to college and getting married.  So here is what I know about my amazing, adorable, sweet son as a three year old.  

  • He loves cars, however he will not mix his "Cars" cars and his "Hot Wheels"
  • He takes cars with him everywhere, even to bed.  Most recently it has become his nightly routine to take pictures of his cars before bed each night.  
  • He does not like new clothing...  He will only wear something without throwing a fit if it has short sleeves and he has worn it multiple times before.  He basically wears the same 5 short sleeved shirts over and over and over again.
  • He will not wear any tight fitting pajamas.  They have to be loose on his legs.
  • He won't wear colored socks??  They have to be white (or wipe as he likes to say).  He is okay if they have a little grey on the sole.
  • He loves to tell stories and sing.  His favorite songs are "Jingle Bells" and "Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer."     
  • He is very reserved and thinks things through before trying anything.  He is not a fan of rides or costumes.  He is shy and takes a while to warm up in a group.  
  • Just today after saying our prayers before bed he was asking me if Jesus keeps the monsters in jail.  I told him that made perfect sense and that Jesus probably does keep the monsters in jail.
  • He melted my heart tonight when he told me that he wanted me to pick him up from daycare (grandma and grandpa picked him up so I could be at a fundraiser) 
  • He is very polite.  When he has been given a gift that he loves he will repeat how thankful he is for the gift for days and days.
  • He does not like to go to bed at night.  Just like his dad he will stay up super late.  He will talk to himself, tell stories with his cars or sing for hours at night wile he is "in bed."  He also isn't a morning person, well unless he has been allowed to wake up in his own time frame.  A quality that is also much like his father.  He insists each morning that I have to wake him up, "it's still dark out!", "Not yet!", "I'm asleep!"  The other day he informed me at bed time, "Mama, you don't need to get Brooklyn and me up until it's light out.  Okay."    
  • He is deathly afraid of the car wash. 
  • He is strong willed, stubborn, and knows what he wants and good luck trying to sway him into changing his mind about anything.  Reverse psychology does not work...  The code right now for "I'm not going to do or like that ever" is "Maybe later."
  • He hates getting his hair cut.
  • He loves cheese, english muffins, mandarin oranges, cereal, rice with soy sauce, and apples.
  • His best drawing thus far has been a snow man after daddy showed him how to make one.
  • He adores all of his grandparents.  
  • He prefers to wear boxer brief style underwear.  I mean seriously?!  They are of course more expensive.  But I guess if he only has 5 shirts, it's a trade off, right?  
  • His favorite color is green.
  • He is my snuggler :-)  
     

2 comments: