Josh, Victoria, Lincoln, and Brooklyn

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Apples Anyone?

Well, fall is officially here.  When I look out my front window I see an abundance of apples in our apple trees and I already vowed that they would not go to waste this year.  So, naturally I employed the help of my little man and we headed to the front yard with all of our supplies.  Lincoln loved picking up the apples and depositing them into the bin.  He felt it necessary to sample quite a few though...  While were were apple picking Josh was on the roof working and Lincoln was shouting at him about the two  apples he had in his hands.  It was great!  He is using his numbers and starting to comprehend their meaning!


The next step was to do something with them...  I decided to try apple sauce.  I've made apple sauce before, but I did it with my mom.  We canned it and had all the necessary tools.  I decided to wing it and see what happened.  I found a recipe on line and used that as a general guideline. 


First I washed the apples.


Then I used my apple slicer (the recipe said to leave the peels on, but next time I will not).


Into a pot they went with some water.


I simmered them until they were soft.


Next I put them into my manual food processor (I think an electric food processor might have pureed' it better.)


I added sugar, lemon juice, a dash of apple juice, cinnamon, and nutmeg.


It ended up chunky, but like I said if I had an electric food processor I think it would have been creamer...  Or I need to borrow my grandmas apple sieve.
 

It tastes good and Lincoln loves it and that's what counts. 


Because it didn't quite turn out how I had hoped I decided to use some of it to make apple sauce bread.  Of course Lincoln helped.  It was his first time using the mixer! 


The bread is delicious!  I will definitely be making more soon as I have TONS of apples left! 

1 comment:

  1. Um, yum.......so cute; love your pictures and precious time with Lincoln. You are the best mom ever....

    ReplyDelete